Sunday, August 30, 2009

Let's Kill Some Nazis

So, "survived" field week here at Fort Sham. The worst part about it was no showers (but we still got all sweaty and nasty at 6am doing PT, nevermind that it's over 100 degrees here so we're getting pretty disgusting during the day anyway :p) The training itself wasn't too bad though; easy for the most part, although I did more infantry-type stuff than medical stuff, much to my disappointment. Not hard or physically demanding infantry stuff (although we did get a surprise 4-mile ruck to the FOB on Monday :p), but worthless nonetheless (mind you, the majority of BOLC 3 is worthless for a future MEDEVAC pilot, but nobody here needs practice manning a guard tower or sitting all day in a security perimeter. Honestly.)

General pointlessness of the field exercise aside, at least we had quotes from Inglourious Basterds to tide us over. That movie is by far the best I've seen all Summer, even topping Hangover. I didn't know going into it that it was supposed to be at least partially funny, and that was a great surprise. I also wasn't expecting it to have a decent plot (I've seen a lot of movies this summer with horrible - or no - plots, so I was expecting the usual), so that was also a nice surprise. Yeah, I know, it was a completely unrealistic plot, but any idiot knows that Hitler wasn't shot to death in a movie theater, so the rest can be forgiven, in my opinion. There were some inconsistencies, but nothing that made me dislike the movie in any way. So long as you don't mind some blood and gore and beating people to death with baseball bats, I'd recommend this movie to pretty much anyone.

That said, went to Six Flags yesterday. Favorite rollercoasters: Superman (all four of us got Superman capes and wore them every time we went on the ride - geeky, I know, but fun) and Poltergeist (0 to 60mph in 3.8 seconds, hell YES!). No real "least favorite" coasters, although the Rattler certainly lived up to its name (but what did I expect from a massive wooden rollercoaster? And I only smashed my head into Jay's shoulder about three times, so it's ok...)

Next weekend: Naperville, IL, for the Ashley Whippet disc dog competition with my mom and brothers! Whoo! We also realized this weekend that we have no more 5-day weeks left here at BOLC 3 - two 4-days and a 3-day! AND I finally got my orders to flight school, so I can head straight to AL when I'm done here and move into my apartment! Good news all around :)

No comments:

Post a Comment