Sunday, August 16, 2009

Transformers 2, Harry Potter, and what the hell else did I watch this summer?

Whoo! Another post that's NOT Army-related! (Yeah, you're about to get spammed with movie posts, lol).

Transformers 2: I... was not impressed by this movie. The plot sucked (which I expected the instant I saw the previews: "Sam, there is much we haven't told you." Ok, that's the sign they were just scrambling to make a sequel). The CG was good, as per usual, but that's pretty much all I liked. I wasn't really even impressed by the few fight scenes :-/ And the twin Autobots were just annoying. As was the bot-in-a-box, as I've decided to call it. If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about. The scene I liked the most: When the corporate asshole is conned into pulling the ripcord and gets sucked out of the plane. Brilliant.

Harry Potter: Another disappointment. The book was my least favorite of the series anyway, and the movie was a letdown even from that. It evoked no emotion in me whatsoever. I actually almost laughed when Dumbledore died, because it was so horribly anticlimatic.

Public Enemies: Ok, a lot of people complained about this movie because it had a bad plot, too many plots, etc etc. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. No real reason why... just enjoyed the casting, enjoyed the shootouts, enjoyed the period it was written in. And Johnny Depp :p

Hangover: saw this at Benning, and it was funny as hell. Way more penis-shots in it than I really wanted to see (wouldn't have been bad if they were hot, but... they weren't, so it was a little un-cool). Hilarious enough that I'll probably buy it eventually.

GI Joe: Oh god, what can I say about this incredibly shitty movie? The CG was good? My expectations were so low anyway that it wasn't too much of a letdown? I just... don't even want to talk about it. The theater we went to was awesome though! It's this place called the Alamo Drafthouse, which serves dinner with your movie. And alcohol. The service was a little slow, but Jay says that's pretty unusual for them, so we probably just caught a bad day.

The Hurt Locker: I... am surprised that some people really like this movie. Sooo many of the fans are like "yeah, it's inconsistent, but that's the point, that he does what he isn't supposed to!" Um... yeah, maybe that's the point, but it still should fall within some bounds of realism. First sign that the movie was going to suck completely: it was set in 2004, and everyone was wearing ACUs, which weren't fielded until 2005. A test run was done with one of the BCTs in late 2004, but definitely not *everyone* would have been wearing the damned things. Then you have the EOD Humvee driving by itself everywhere. Um, no. That doesn't happen, even if someone is playing cowboy out there. Then you have EOD clearing the area instead of the Infantry. The Infantry would have already cleared the area before EOD showed up... so there wouldn't even be an opportunity for that to happen. Shootout in the middle of the desert? Those EOD guys won't outshoot the contractors. Guaranteed. And once again, that Humvee is flying solo out there in the middle of nowhere. By the way, where did that scene even fit into the (admittedly spotty) plot? EOD team clearing the neighborhood in their 3-man team, which then split up so each guy was going solo? Sorry, but even if the Tech was playing cowboy there, his teammates would certainly not have followed him into such an idiotic situation. He probably would have been tackled to the ground and stopped. Leaving the post with the vendor, and being allowed back in by saying he was at a whorehouse? Yeah, I'm pretty sure he'd have been in some serious shit. Pretty positive you can't just walk back into a FOB and have the gate guard forget about it without anyone in the chain of command hearing about the incident. Way too many people watching for that to fly. There was so much more... but I'll settle for saying that the song the Tech was listening to when he first arrived, Fear (is Big Business) by Ministry, kicks ass (even if it is incredibly anti-government).

We're probably going to go see Inglorious Bastards when it comes out, and go to Six Flags next weekend. Fun stuff :p

No comments:

Post a Comment