So, we'll start with Naperville. It was an ok weekend. Got to see my mom and two of my brothers (yeah, I have four of them :p). My older brother adopted a new puppy (who was sick and skin and bones then but is healthy and apparently doubled in size as of her vet visit a day ago :p), and she is absolutely adorable. Her photo is the one up at the top. The next two are Charlie (my brother's first dog, and a complete daddy's boy) and Kit (one of my mom's two dogs, and a complete momma's boy :p). I do wish that the weekend had been longer, or that it hadn't been a competition weekend (aka a "work" weekend for my mom). Didn't get to hang out and have some quality mother-daughter time like I was hoping :-/
Anyway... the last couple weeks of Fort Sham passed by pretty much the same way as the rest of the time there - easy and boring, for the most part. I'm still not active duty according to the Army database, and apparently that was a big enough fuckup that it had to be sent to the DA to be fixed *sigh*
Oh well, at least BOLC III is over... now on to my real BOLC III! That's right folks, I have (finally) arrived at Fort Rucker. I have my own apartment here (2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, all to myself), which is nice except now I actually have to grow up and pay bills :( And buy furniture, which is a hell of a lot more expensive than I'd expected... Thus far my life has consisted of PT in the morning (which lasts from the 0615 formation until around 0700... what a joke...) and inprocessing. Now I have Permissive TDY (PTDY) starting after PT Monday, which means 10 days of not having to do anything and still getting paid! So I'm going to stay here long enough for my internet to be hooked up Monday (I'm hijacking a neighbor's right now) and for my furniture to be set up Tuesday, and then I'm headed home until the 6th.
In other exciting news, apparently I'm entitled to BAH (housing pay) for part of the time I was at Fort Sam, which means my paycheck next Weds. will have an extra $700 tacked onto it... plus the $719 for this next month's housing that I haven't been drawing yet. In short, the paycheck will be double what I usually make :) Additionally, my travel voucher will wind up being approximately $2000, which I should be getting deposited to my bank account towards the end of this upcoming week. Hallelujah for paying off the credit card (which I pretty much maxed out to buy furniture) and restocking my checking account (which I wiped out paying rent and buying groceries and curtains). Yes, I bought curtains. I bought blackout curtains, which I fully expect to lower the cost of my electricity bills, so no need for "housewife" jokes, thanks :p
And while I'm speaking about decorating my house, check out the paintings I bought in New Orleans to hang on my walls!





I was going to paint the walls too, but then I discovered how expensive paint is, and I decided that it wasn't worth it for a year-and-a-half-long stay. Instead of painting, I'm probably just going to invest in some comfy throw rugs that match the curtains (which match the paintings). Yes, I picked different rooms for the paintings so that I could color-coordinate curtains and such. I like art and like things matching, so sue me :p
OH, and in case anyone is curious about the oils, the lady's website is here: http://raganarts.com/RaganArts/Ragan_Arts.html
No comments:
Post a Comment