Tuesday, June 9, 2009

BOLC II - Week 1

Oh man, I hurt right now.

We had our PT test yesterday (which I passed with a 280), and I'm still sore from it. Then we did a run this morning that was approximately 4 miles long (not counting the many times we had to circle back to pick people up) and holy hell, Georgia has hills X( Now, I've been up cardiac hill in full ACUs, a ruck, and a gas mask before, in the middle of the day in the summer, and it sucked then. But damn it if it doesn't suck just as much in PTs before the sun is up. And the other hills weren't much fun either. Add that to the fact that all the water I drank yesterday apparently wasn't enough, so I dehydrated, stopped sweating, and got dizzy, and PT this morning was pretty unpleasant. I am, however, proud that I didn't fall out until the very end, after I stopped sweating (and stopped seeing straight... heh).

At least I know that I will eventually get used to the PT regimen here (5 days a week, whoo!) and it will make me better at PT... but until my muscles adapt, heal, and grow, it's going to be fairly painful *sigh*

In other news... Sooo many briefings the past 2 days! The cadre for my platoon seem pretty cool, although I haven't really talked to SSG Coulter or SFC Thomas. We had a couple of colonels (the DCG was one of them) and a SGM (may have been a CSM, couldn't see his rank clearly and didn't really read the ppt slide), and that was pretty interesting. Kind of a "wake the fuck up, you're not little kids and college students any more so act like a damned officer" day... (ok, so I actually thought the speeches were a lot of fun, honestly...)

I get CQ duty tonight, from 0200-0400 >.< sleep is a crutch. but the 12-2 shift would be far worse... I probably wouldn't get any sleep if I had that shift. Fortunately we don't have CQ over the weekend, and I think next week it goes to 2nd platoon, so I only get it once this week (and we'll see if I get to pull CQ at the Bn HQ next week).

Tomorrow we have a urinalysis first thing (formation at 0400, yay...), followed by crossfit (MAJ Ty would be so happy...) and I think some more briefings and such. Thursday and Friday are CLS, which will be fun... right up until one of my classmates has to stick me and misses the vein because mine are so small. That won't be much fun at all. PT both days, of course.

Then... the weekend! And some recovery time for my abused muscles (ok, ok, it's partly my fault for not PTing enough the past month and a half, but I still think today's run would have hurt a bit). No real plans, except to relax a bit and maybe do some reading. I found a couple of parks nearby that might be fun to wander around, and I think I'll see if the Infantry Museum is open weekends (it was closed for renovation when I was here last summer, so I haven't seen it yet). May or may not post another Week 1 update, we'll see.

Next week is BRM!

EDIT: The Infantry Museum isn't open again until June 19th, so I'll have to wait a couple weeks to check it out. Should be cool though :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't see how you do it. I know that I would have passed out after the first ten feet...lol.

    ReplyDelete